Monday, June 6, 2011

Well that was awkward…

I seem to attract crazies.  No, seriously.  I do.  It also seems like since I have become the mother of a black kid—I attract a whole new kind of crazy.  This past Sunday, at church, a mom of 5 came up to me to talk to me about something “very important”. 

A few weeks ago, she introduced me to a “friend” of hers who wanted to get involved in the Young Adults ministry.  I told this young lady to contact me on Facebook and I gave her ALL the information should would need to do so.  Now, I may be a bit harsh, but here’s the deal—this girl should be mature enough to contact me on her own if she really wanted to get involved.  It isn’t up to me to hunt people down and beg them to hang out! 

So, this mom stopped her conversation to stop me as I am trying to chase my son, and asked me if this young lady had contacted me.  I told her no and she proceeded to say, “Well, we should get together and hang out, all of us, so that you could get to know her and she might feel more comfortable with contacting you!”  I stammered and responded, “Well, since I work two jobs and am a single mom, I would have to bring K with me!”  She immediately said, “Wow, why do you work 2 jobs?  Who watches your son for all that time?  How do you spend any time with him if you are always working?  Well I could just watch him for you and you two could go out!”  It’s at this point what I wanted to say was something to the effect of, “Cold day in hell lady!  That is when I will just ‘leave’ my son with you!”  But I didn’t!

Let’s be real.  I am still a new mom.  I am a new mom to a kid who spent over a year in an orphanage.  I am a new mom to a child who still makes sure that I am going to “come back!”  I am a new mom to someone who has a very small circle of people I trust my kid with!  I don’t just leave my kid with anyone!  Now I have nothing against her, but I don’t really know her, and what I do know—she is NEVER watching my kid.  

What I did say was, “Well, I don’t let him stay with just anyone, but thank you for the sweet offer!  I truly appreciate it!”  I thought that was nice, right?  Her response, “Well, I think he would totally stay with me because I look just like him!  I mean it might be nice for him and I am sure he would just come right to me!”  Why, because you’re African-American?  UM, NO HE WOULDN’T!  What she hasn’t noticed over the past 15 months is that every time she “tries” to hug him, he runs from her.   And seriously, when my kid likes someone, he hunts ‘em down for hugs and love!   And she ain’t one of ‘em!

What made her think that just because their skin is (kinda) the same, that they wouldn instantly be “cool like that”?  And PS lady, I have seen your kids and how they act and how you act with them, so um, yeah, that ain’t gonna happen!  You really don’t have anything to share with me/impart into me/train me/guide me/help me about being a mom! 

I basically just smiled and thanked her again and walked away!   I just don’t know how to handle something like that.  Not sure I did a good job, but at least I didn’t go off on her. 

No comments: