Monday, June 6, 2011

Big Brave Boy

This past year has been filled with extraordinary things.  I have learned so much about motherhood, being someone’s mama, myself and the fact that K might be “clingy” for a lil bit longer!  I know that attachment takes time and he immediately took to calling me Mama (Amaye) but goes through spurts of worrying that I am not going to come back.  In the early days of our family, he was CONSTANTLY underfoot.  I couldn’t leave the room without him looking for me.  When it was Mah-tah Mah-tah (night night) time, he would only go to sleep if I lay with him and he could be holding my hand.  He would ask, “Mama!  You still there?” right as he was about to fall asleep, knowing that I am still holding his hand and he could feel me.  Sadly, for many months, before he would fall asleep, I would, so my bedtime went from around 10/1030 to around 730/8!!! 

When dropping him off at school, we go through out cadence of, “You listen! (and he nods).  You behave! (and he nods).  I love you forever (and we hi-five).  And Mommy…” (and he says, “…always comes back for Kwali!”) and then we hug and kiss again!  I want him to know that what I say, I mean!  

So, fast forward 14 months!  K was still sleeping in bed with me.  Now, mind you, it isn’t like it’s cramping my budding social/active sex life or anything!  Puhlease!!!  It most certainly isn’t, but I also know that he needs to feel secure and know that I am trustworthy.  One of those ways is by knowing that, even when he sleeps in his bed, I am still here!  

And for the last 3 weeks, he’s been a champ!!!  We go through a bedtime verbal dance (similar to that of when I drop him off at school), but he has seemed to really be doing well.  He climbs into bed with me at around 530 AM, but I am ok with that.  He’s been falling asleep in his own bed and staying there!   I give him a treat in the morning for being Jeg-e-now (brave).  Like with anything…it’s a process, but we seem to be on the right track!  Thank ya Jesus!!!

No comments: